Overview | Degree Apprenticeships

Degree Apprenticeships

The AMRICC Centre has led the development of a degree level apprenticeship programme in material science to plug the vocational skills gap identified by manufacturers in need of a skilled workforce going forward, annually recruiting candidates to fill the position of Apprentice Materials Technician for its new industrial innovation and commercialisation facility.

The apprentices gain foundation science and engineering skills through time spent with specialist materials and testing teams and personnel across the business, working with experienced instructors to complete both theoretical and practical activities.

In addition, they undertake a variety of 3-to-6-month placements in our pilot-line facility and advanced materials processing laboratories, working with our highly experienced and knowledgeable people to learn how the specialist equipment and processes operates. This may also include time at partner facilities to experience and learn about advanced ceramic manufacturing processes, environments, and applications.

The apprentices train to develop the knowledge, skills, and behaviours to acquire a Degree Apprenticeship in Material Science with the University of Derby.

As an apprentice employee, they spend 80% of their time making a significant and positive contribution to our work in The AMRICC Centre. The remaining 20% of time is spent on campus or in self-directed study, with the University of Derby.

The aim is for the apprentices to develop a broad overview of the business by splitting time between offices and high-tech laboratories to gain a mix of both theoretical and practical experience. This will complement their degree studies in material science, as well as developing their commercial acumen with knowledge about national and international sales, client facing roles, and account handling.

The structured partnership between The AMRICC Centre and the University of Derby enables the apprentices to gain experience in both an academic context and real-world applications.